Buzzings from a quilter who bumbles her way through life!

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Thrifty Doings in the Hill Country!


We were in the Hill Country last weekend and I made my usual stop by the thrift shops! I found this fairly large (about 18" x 22") framed needlepoint. I am thinking I will remove the piece from the frame and make a throw pillow from it. Someone put a LOT of work into this!
We also started moving cabinets into the pantry. It will be a "prep kitchen", "dirty kitchen", "butler's kitchen", "working kitchen". We've heard it called so many things! We are going to call it a prep kitchen. It will have a sink and dishwasher, the coffee pot, crock pot, mixer, etc. This is where the dirty work will happen and the "mess" can be hidden during parties. Our kitchen/living room/dining room is so open, we decided this was a good idea.
I also worked on my glass cabinet doors. The glass in the cabinets can not be easily changed. The trim that has to be removed to get to it is on the front and the top is curved! I wanted to put antique glass in the fronts, but decided that was too complicated for me. Instead, I used Gallery Glass and "textured" the inside of the glass. If I ever decide to change it, I can peel it off. 
First, I bought Crystal Clear Gallery Glass. I bought 6 small jars, but only used 2! I spent about $5 and less than an hour to do all my cabinet glass (6 panels)!
I left the cabinet doors in place and cleaned them really well with Windex! Then I squirted the medium onto the glass, working just half the glass at a time to keep it from drying before I could finish.
I chose to smear it to cover the area I was working, then pat it out with my fingertip. You could try other ways to texture it.
Here you see it drying. Only one glass has been done. It was fully dry within the hour, but that would depend on the temperature and air circulation.
Here I have shot the picture through the door toward the kitchen window so you can see the texture. I am really pleased with how it turned out!
I did not put it on the outside of the glass because I wasn't sure how it would hold up to regular, grease splatters, dust, etc. It might have been fine, but the inside of the door is more protected.
Be sure to join us for the We Support You blog hop, starting on Thursday! I will post on the 11th! In the meantime, I'm working on my project for that!
See you then!

19 comments:

  1. what a great way to alter the glass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those doors are wonderful. I really love the look and if you get tired of them, you can change them. Wonderful idea! Can't wait to see what you do with the needlepoint. I know you will do something wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That glass looks fantastic. My grandmother had that same print in her home, but not in needlework. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I had no idea you could even do that - so pretty! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Gallery Glass is something I've never heard of....very pretty!The needlepoint is from a painting called The Gleaners....love it! http://www.zazzle.com/the_gleaners_by_jean_francois_millet_1857_canvas-192950830869468143

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a precious Needlepoint find and how great tha you will honor it. Gallery Glass on your glass doors...brilliant. You have saved thousands os dollars and tons of time replacing perfectly good glass. Your results are spectacular! Creative Hill Country Bliss Dear...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also did not know you could do that with glass: how Way Cool!
    And, love The Gleaners, but also, the frame's quite a find! Go, Girl!
    Your friend Tina in San Diego

    ReplyDelete
  8. T hat is a fabulous product. I've added it to my useful products info as I have a project I want to do in the future. It will be easier than changing the glass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that needle point looks like a painting ! I like what you did to your glass doors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love The Gleaners needlepoint! That definitely should be framed, it looks like it took FOREVER! And good work on the gallery glass idea for your kitchen cabinets. I may have to borrow it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a treasure you found in the needlepoint. I can only imagine the number of hours stitching. LOve your idea for finishing the windws.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful find it will look lovely as a pillow. I have done cross stitching so I know the hours that takes. Your kitchen is just amazing. Have you moved in your house or are you waiting till it is all finished. Blessings Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love what you did to your glass doors! Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never heard of Gallery Glass but wow does it look great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gallery Glass, new to me, but what a nice solution and simpler than remove/replace the existing glass. Thank you for introducing this product.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great rescue of the needlepoint. A pillow would be lovely. I've never heard of Galllery Glass but I LOVE the finished product. That looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is New to me!!! It looks so professionally done. I am amazed. I dont have glass doors but some friends do. I will be passing this tip along. You are so creative, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is New to me!!! It looks so professionally done. I am amazed. I dont have glass doors but some friends do. I will be passing this tip along. You are so creative, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your ideas of doing things by your self as much as you can , renewing , recycling . I never heard about gallery glass is it different than Etching glass?
    http://myeleganthome.blogspot.ae/

    ReplyDelete

You can leave your comment here! (I'm so sorry, but if you are an Anonymous commenter, your comment will not publish. This is because of the huge amounts of spam that I have received from anonymous sources.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...