Buzzings from a quilter who bumbles her way through life!

Monday, April 4, 2011

Project Pouch Tutorial

This quilted "envelope" pouch is 10 1/2" x 13 1/4" finished. It could very easily be larger or smaller by changing the size you cut it. I  made mine a size that could be easily made from fat quarters. It could hold your scissors, your rotary cutter, box of pins, small ruler, and even your folded quilt top. It holds my graph paper note pad, which is longer than a spiral notebook, and there is plenty of room for pencils. It could hold a color book and crayons and could be made in a cute novelty fabric!  I can envision using it to hold items in my suitcase that I don't want flying around loose - like panty hose or jewelry. I can imagine using it for photos, cards, maybe an iPad? Use your imagination. Remember, you can make it larger or smaller, depending on what you intend to use it for. Although it seems like a long process, it is quite easy. I have included photos of steps that most of you are already familiar with, but I didn't want to lose those of you who are new to sewing and quilting.
1. Cut the front piece 21" x 14".
2. To determine placement of applique or embroidery, turn up the bottom to within 6" below the top of the fabric.
3. Add any trim you wish to use to decorate with - applique, embroidery, rick-rack, buttons, etc.
4. Cut the lining piece 22" x 14" (1" longer than the front piece).
5. Cut a piece of batting the same size as your front - 21" x 14".
6. Layer your pieces with right sides together and batting on top. Center the batting 1/4" from each end.
7. Sew a 1/4" seam at one end, sewing the front and lining together. Do not catch the batting in the seam. Pull the front fabric over to meet the fabric edge at the opposite end. Since the lining is 1" longer than the front, it will not lay flat at this point. Turn right side out.
8. Press so the 1/4" of lining shows at each end.
9. Stitch in the seam line on each side. Quilt the piece at this point.
10. Turn the bottom up to within 6" of the top, then turn the top down to meet it. Pin in place.
11. Cut 2 strips of lining fabric each 11" x 1 1/2" (for a wider binding, but them 2" wide.) Turn the raw edges at the ends in about 1/4". Fold in half lengthwise and press well. 
12. Pin raw edges of binding to each side. Folded edge should be to the inside. Sew 1/4" from edge on each side.
13. Turn the folded edge to the back and sew in place over the raw edges. With a binding this narrow, it is helpful to roll the binding to the back with your thumb and finger while pushing the raw edges and batting down out of the way with the needle..
 
14. You can add ribbon closures, button and loop closure, or tab and snap or any other closure you can think of. If you add it before sewing the sides, you can put a zipper in.( Do this before step 10.)
                                               Finished!

9 comments:

  1. Linda, What a delightful bag. I think I'm going to need one. Wouldn't it be perfect to carry a stitchery project with you 'on the go'? Thanks so much for the tutorial. I think I'll be sewing again very soon and this would be such a fun project to make up quickly and then enjoy the hand stitching in the evening by the fire...yes, it is still cold here in Northern Utah. *sigh* But Spring is coming I just know it. Almost time to put my hummingbird feeders out. I love to sit out by them in the evening and stitch while the little lovely's zip around, studying me and stopping to sip some sugar water. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I need to open up my sewing machine again and make one of these. There is something very appealing to me about bags, purses, and pouches!

    This is a great gift idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cute pouch! The possibilities are endless really! Thanks for the tut... I WILL use it for something I know it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! Of course I love the fabric! Black and yellow are my new favorites! What a neat little gift to send off items in for birthdays and or friendship gifts...I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great tutorial and I appreciate the pictures for binding. I'm such a see and sew kind of person! I love your "bumble" bee - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it!!!! And that bee is darling. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just started doing some stitchery for a quilt and they are just lying around.... this would be lovely for keeping them altogether and keeping them clean too. Thanks you for the tut.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad I found your blog - Great tutorial - Thank you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in charge of a local senior quilting group and we call ourselves "The Busy Bee Quilters". This pattern is perfect for our group and I will be sure to share it with all them! If you have any other "bee" projects, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete

You can leave your comment here! (I'm so sorry, but if you are an Anonymous commenter, your comment will not publish. This is because of the huge amounts of spam that I have received from anonymous sources.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...