Buzzings from a quilter who bumbles her way through life!

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Doll Clothes

I have been out of town visiting my grandmother, and came back  Sunday night in time to realize that time was running out to get some doll clothes made for my granddaughter's birthday. I had a doll sent- a new American Girl doll - and wanted to send some clothes to go with her. The doll is already safely tucked away in her parent's closet for the party this weekend, but I need to send the clothes today or they won't get there in time. (My granddaughter lives halfway across the country from me.)

Doll clothes can be a lot of fun to make, but time consuming. I went through my scraps and picked some bright colors that I thought would make cute doll clothes. Some day, when I'm not rushed for time, I would like to design some NEW patterns for doll clothes. I am using the same patterns over and over. The last time I sent doll clothes, I sent about 2 dozen outfits. I just don't have time to do that now. They are a fun way to use up scraps, though.

I think making doll clothes goes back to the same memories that led me to quilting. I learned to sew using scraps. I remember getting a little plastic doll along with a sewing kit containing thread, needles, etc. This doll was sold for the sole purpose of teaching little girls to sew. This doll was before Barbie's time and was proportioned a little more realistically. She wasn't much to look at, but we didn't care because she wasn't really a play doll. This would have been in the late 50's. I wonder how many of us today learned to sew by sewing doll clothes. We made up our own patterns and just experimented. It was great fun for a quiet evening!

1 comment:

  1. I remember lots of summer days sewing doll clothes. We used to sit on an old quilt under the shade tree and sew outfits for Barbie. Great memories!

    ReplyDelete

You can leave your comment here! (I'm so sorry, but if you are an Anonymous commenter, your comment will not publish. This is because of the huge amounts of spam that I have received from anonymous sources.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...