Buzzings from a quilter who bumbles her way through life!

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

End of June Update on Hill Country House


This is the balcony off the master bedroom at the hill country house. We really enjoy sitting here in the cool dusk listening to the birds and watching for deer to wander into the yard. This time of year, the deer often have tiny fawns following close by.


Sitting there this past weekend, I noticed just how badly the railing needed painting! The paint had faded and was peeling badly.

So the next day I picked up a couple of sanding pads, a small brush, and some black enamel. After working off quite a few calories sanding down all those rails, I used Valspar latex enamel, and I love the result. 
8-fl oz Exterior Satin Satin Black Latex-Base Paint
 Although I could see brush  strokes going on, they leveled out to a smooth finish!  (No, I'm not an affiliate and they have never even heard of me! BUT, if they want to, I'm available! I have a lot more painting to do!) 




I didn't quite finish before I felt a few raindrops and decided to stop and finish later. I will also paint the railings at the entry to the front door. 
Another job was to prepare the new laundry room for the plumber. We had to decide where to put the washer and dryer (when we get one!). We had to remove one of the lower cabinets to make room.






I evidently didn't get a photo of the laundry room after removing part of the countertop and one cabinet. Ignore the protective paper on the floor. The carpet will be pulled out and I will be putting down a floor in this room.
The washer and dryer will hopefully go on the far right in the photo. 
We have new electrical running to the kitchen, dining room and pantry now, so plumbing is next on the list. The plumber said he thought he could get to it this week. I'm hoping he can!
I'm so ready to be finished with the kitchen, but it is still going very slowly. Everything has to be orchestrated. Electrical before plumbing. Plumbing before cabinets. Cabinets before flooring. Flooring before appliances....etc. Waiting is not my best talent!
(crape myrtle trees are blooming!)
In the meantime, I am continuing to work on the Patriotic quilt. I have two more borders to embroider and 9 stars to applique! 

(a quick photo while work is in progress!)


20 comments:

  1. this will no doubt be the most beautiful laundry room I have ever seen...at first glance I was thinking it was a part of the kitchen...totally cool....a great place to sew too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice paint job. The kitchen will get done, one of these days. I don't like to wait, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything in it's time!! It's looking lovely. You have a gorgeous place! Your quilt is coming along nicely, too. Can't wait to see it when it's all finished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've done a lovely job of the railing, Linda. It would be so lovely sitting there watching deer come (something that doesn't happen here!). Just think how wonderful everything will be once the house is finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your house is looking fantastic, love your veranda (what they call it here in Greece)/balcony.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's all going to be just lovely. Fantastic job on your railing...looks brand new, I think Valspar should have you as an affiliate. Love the view of your yard...the blossoms are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow what a beautiful home with amazing views,have fun decorating Linda.xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your house looks wonderful and the laundry room is so fantastic. And the beautiful views that you could enjoy the seasons. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's looking lovely! Patience will be your friend as you move along slowly, but steadily. I'm enjoying the updates and progress reports!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Linda! Holy cow, your laundry room under construction looks better than mine finished! Can't wait to see the final results. I think you could use this as one of your projects to reveal in September :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The railing is bigger then I thought, you will get to everything in time. The myrtles are beautiful and a great view.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love what you are doing on your home! Hard to be patient, but like your beautiful embroidery, one stitch at a time creates that beauty. Your home will soon be as perfect as your view!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, what a beautiful view you have from that freshly painted balcony! Your home looks like it will be amazing once it is done. Your embroidery is looking lovely, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cant wait to see the "we are all moved in" update!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so jealous! I have a laundry "closet" and it literally is the width of the two bifold doors. I want a laundry room but in this house that's not going to happen. I remind myself often that some people would be thrilled to have a washer and dryer no matter where it is so I am blessed. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi!!!! Your balcony looks so inviting and calming!!!! Love your views and the Crape Myrtle!!!! I wish you speedy work crews!!!!! hugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sanding is a muscle building exercise....I'd help you if I could ! I planted a crepe myrtle about 3 years ago...it wouldn't grow and I babied it so much....this spring I told Ranchman it must be dead because the branches snapped off so easy. So he got a chain and we commenced to pulling it out of the ground......the chain slipped and tore some bark off and it was still green, so we quit. I decided I would cut it back to the ground and see what happens. We didn't even try to settle it back it the hole ! and do you know that thing is growing like crazy.....blooming crazier !!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful place to sit and meditate. Your house will be so beautiful when finished.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am finally home and able to read my favorite blogs. Your home is coming along so nicely and your style and touches are making it just perfect. I must tell you your picnic and quilt are beyond fabulous! Sew very clever of you!!! Summer Sparkles and Creative Bliss Dear...

    ReplyDelete

You can leave your comment here! (I'm so sorry, but if you are an Anonymous commenter, your comment will not publish. This is because of the huge amounts of spam that I have received from anonymous sources.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...