Buzzings from a quilter who bumbles her way through life!

Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Making a Tablecloth for a Large Round Table


I love setting a pretty table. 
A Christmas setting from a few years ago. Because I used regular cotton quilting fabric, I needed 9 yards.
My biggest problem is that my table is too large to use commercial tablecloths. I just can't find any big enough!
Fortunately, it is pretty easy to make my own.
I like to find upholstery and drapery fabric when I can (on sale of course!).  It is 60" wide and comes in pretty colors and patterns.
I buy 6 yards (sometimes 7, if I need to match a design) and sew two 3 yard pieces together down the center.
Match up designs as well as you can.
(this is why you may need extra when there are large designs involved)
Fold in half and find the center. Attach a string to a pin and attach the pin to the center. (I use a non-stretchy cotton string. Yarn can stretch too much.) Attach a piece of chalk to the other end. It should end at the edge of your fabric.

Hold the chalk, pulling the string taut, and draw an arc on your fabric. Cut along the chalk line.
(I found it helpful to hold everything in place with a chair leg!)
If your fabric is thin enough, you can turn your hem. The fabric above was way too thick to turn, so I used an overcast stitch (shown below) to finish the edge. (A serger would work great here.)

That's all there is to it! I steamed the seams flat afterwards.
Most upholstery and drapery fabric has been treated to resist stains and sometimes water, so I will just spot clean it.
The next time you see this cloth, it will have pretty dishes and a centerpiece!
Here are some of my tables from the past.



Fresh flowers always look good! This cloth is from drapery fabric.

(see the flying birds I suspended over the table?)

I also decorate my buffet area!
Easter table. I didn't get a photo of it with flatware and napkins!
   
  
(Well, the last one is not officially a table setting, but the centerpiece is pretty sweet! This is why I always keep a cheap plastic tablecloth to throw over my tables after setting them! I certainly don't want cat hairs on my plates!) I pull it off just before guests arrive!

4 comments:

  1. I'm a table-cloth-aholic. Since my table is not as large as your wonderful table, I am still able to purchase ready made ones, but not always in the pattern/color scheme I want. I may have to try making one just to know that I can. Thanks for sharing. By the way, no cats here, but two shedding dogs with flying hair. We just need to put the plastic on the dogs! Have a wonderful day...Jan in PA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't set a table often. But what a great idea to use upholstery or drapery fabric. My mom likes the oil cloth ones but has a weird large table and has problems finding anything wide enough too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your tables! I also enjoy doing something special when we have guests....it is another fun creative release!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved seeing your wonderful created tablescapes (is that what the pros call them!). You have a creative eye for sure. You can't go wrong with hanging birds.

    ReplyDelete

You can leave your comment here! (I'm so sorry, but if you are an Anonymous commenter, your comment will not publish. This is because of the huge amounts of spam that I have received from anonymous sources.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...