Buzzings from a quilter who bumbles her way through life!

Thursday, September 2, 2010

My Halloween Project

with more stars and spread out over red fabric
I'm currently working on a new pattern for Halloween. Yes, it should have been out months ago, but I look at it as early for next year!  (Note: It is still protected by copyright, no matter how many changes you might make to it, so please be nice and play fair.) This panel is about 45" x 25" so far.

This is just a peak at the center panel. The pieces have their edges turned under and ready to applique down, but I am "auditioning" backings and poses. I haven't tried to make the skeleton "text book correct". He is only a suggestion of a skeleton. (I guess he would make a funny looking man with a lot of missing bones, but it would make for a very tedious project if all were included.) Everything is only pinned down at this point and the panel is only draped across a red fabric.  The next time you see it, there may be additions, subtractions, or even big changes. I might even change the background fabric! That's why I like this method of applique. I can get a good idea of what I'm going to end up with and make changes before I have done a lot of work.

Because the dark background made the turned under seams of the white bones appear, I backed each piece with batting. I've adhered it with glue stick temporarily to help it stay in place while I sew it.

At this point, I can either hand applique or machine applique, but all my edges will be turned under and will stay neat through a lot of washings.

I plan on the red being just  a very narrow flange around the perimeter and then perhaps some pieced squares as a border. Maybe stars? Flying Geese? I will have to play with it some more before I decide. Halloween is not a holiday I want to spend a lot of energy on, so I want to keep it a simple, quick project.  I could put a couple of borders and embroider a verse on it like I have done with several other patterns. At this point, I'm not sure. This is the fun part.

I'll keep you informed on my progress. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can leave your comment here! (I'm so sorry, but if you are an Anonymous commenter, your comment will not publish. This is because of the huge amounts of spam that I have received from anonymous sources.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...