Buzzings from a quilter who bumbles her way through life!

Monday, August 11, 2014

School Supplies for the Sewing Room!

(Check out Debby Kratovil  Quilts today! I've been featured! I made some throw pillows using a beautiful line of Bernatex fabrics!)


As a former teacher, I can't resist the school supply aisles at the local stores. I am drawn to them like a deer to water! 
I found these great little metal boxes this year! They have a black top and brightly colored sides. 


I used these great Expo Neon dry erase markers to write on the top of each what I would be storing inside the boxes. These markers are made for writing on windows.(Although the words can be erased, they do dull the shiny surface of the metal a little so you can tell where you have written.) 
I plan on a brightly colored sewing room, so I'm thinking these will add a pop of color on the shelves.
I think they would also make a great little toy for travel. Fill the boxes with the little magnetic alphabet letters and include a small box of sight word flash cards and let your child have an "educationally" great time!

Hill Country Updates:
We spent the weekend in the hill country. Although I posted that a lot would get done this week, there were delays. :(
We did walk in to find that the dry wall installer had been there! Yay! He did a lot of drywalling. Unfortunately, he did more than he was supposed to do! 


This half wall and these columns were supposed to be left for the stone workers to do. We have been removing dry wall where backer board and then rock are to be installed. This will delay us by quite a bit. We will have to have this removed. He also set all the electrical boxes that Doug had so carefully "UN-set" for the rock work.  Things like this can be a problem when you're not there to clarify things. I feel sorry for the dry wall guy. He was trying to do us a favor by getting this done before he had to go out of town.


We removed some picket fence and leveled an area in preparation for a garden shed. That will be built starting next Monday. There were raised garden plots here, so we shoveled the precious dirt out of them and into a different area. It was HOT work! 

At lunch, Doug went back to Home Depot and dropped me off at the thrift store. I found another souvenir plate! 25 cents!!! (I am working on a lap quilt that will be in the same room as the plates! I'm using them for inspiration. Watch for it in the See You In September Blog Hop!)


We bought a washer and dryer and it will be delivered around the end of September. (Hopefully, we will be ready for it by then!) 
The dry wall has to be in and the walls textured before the cabinets are in. The cabinets have to be in before the stone is in. The stone has to be in before the floor is laid.  Then we can take a break and go see our  grandkids. Thank goodness we live in an age where we can at least talk on the phone! Can you imagine how our great great grandmothers felt when their kids traveled west and even letters were few and far between? We really are blessed, aren't we?


Last summer we had a family Luau on our patio. My daughter-in-law had just returned from a two month duty station in Hawaii where my son had joined her for part of the time.


This was the last family get together there before the fire. Thank goodness for memories!

11 comments:

  1. Love the ideas from the store, those boxes would be perfect for my granddaughter.
    Glad you had those photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't a teacher...but I was a Kindergarten Sunday School teacher and I visited the school supplies every year too! You had a good run there!
    I am excited to see your See you in September projects!
    The place looks good...it's a process...i can tell ya. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your boxes are so precious. Great idea! I'm so excited to see your "See You in September" project. What fun you must be having with those plates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little boxes look great, Linda. Lovely family photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. School supplies have always fascinated me too. Maybe because my mom was a teacher!

    What a shame that all of the extra drywall got done. Hopefully, it won't be too long of a delay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What cute little boxes Linda and I always love checking out the school supplies at this time of year too. Too bad about too much dry wall and having to undo it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, find myself longing over the back-to-school supplies each year. These bright cheerful boxes are wonderful to keep organized in your sewing room. Such a shame on the drywall front. Thankfully you are able to re-group and forge ahead. Your home will be the loving and beautiful gathering place for family and friends once again. Progress Blessings Dear...

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Mom is 93 and still loves papers, pencils, etc.......school supplies. Me too! Even if you are there things will still go wrong. I used to come by our home about 2 times a day to check and it was the same story. After it's all fix, it will be good. I can't believe my new house is already 14 years old.....where did the time go??

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's wonderful that you have those pictures and it sounds like lots of work is going on for the house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those colorful boxes! I've been redoing a few things in my sewing room and it looks so much better. I hope it makes me more productive. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete

You can leave your comment here! (I'm so sorry, but if you are an Anonymous commenter, your comment will not publish. This is because of the huge amounts of spam that I have received from anonymous sources.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...