Buzzings from a quilter who bumbles her way through life!

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Tying Springs and a Mimic in Nature



My sister and I got a little bit more progress done on our chairs. We got the springs installed  and tied.




We also took templates of the seats and seat backs to the upholstery supply shop to have foam cut for them. We really thought they would just cut it while we waited, but they had a backlog and we will have to go pick them up later this week. That means the progress has come to a halt for now.


In the meantime, while in the hill country this last weekend, we saw even more wildlife. First a huge road runner ran by with either a lizard or snake in his beak. (Sorry, he's way too fast for a photo!) All I could see of the captured meal was a white underbelly.

While sitting on the back patio, we saw a Hummingbird Moth ( Hemaris thysbe, the Hummingbird Clearwing Moth or Common Clearwing) enjoying the little pink trumpet shaped flowers of a shrub nearby.


Can you see him? He hovered over each flower just like a hummingbird does and sucked the nectar with his long proboscis. This beneficial moth is often mistaken for a hummingbird. He is about 2 inches long. 
We're off today to choose countertops! I'm really nervous about it because this is an expensive item and I don't want to make a mistake. It will be installed after the cabinets are finished.  My dad is making some extra cabinets to match the ones we already have. He has also made an Eastern red cedar island countertop for us. (Have I told you my daddy can do absolutely anything!)
Have a great week!



8 comments:

  1. We have those moths sometimes and they are BIIG for moths ! Have fun choosing your counter tops ....that's very exciting....I'll be anxious to see them !

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting moth. I've never heard of them before. And I can't imagine a roadrunner racing past. Do they really exist?

    ReplyDelete
  3. you need springs....so yes let's continue...I look forward to every step..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your postings are always so informative. I have really enjoyed reading about your remaking of the chair and your information about the moth is so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your chair is coming along and I love watching. I can't wait to see the Eastern red cedar island countertop your daddy made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't had the luck of seeing a road runner yet here is Texas. The moth a great photo. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Didn't know that you had to "tie" springs in place....I always learn something from you. I really miss seeing Road Runners.....we have a metal one on our deck and he is a fun reminder!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw a Roadrunner once when visiting a friend in Texas, how amazing I thought they were just in cartoons now isn't that crazy. Your chairs are going to be lovely when finished. Hope you are having fun.

    ReplyDelete

You can leave your comment here! (I'm so sorry, but if you are an Anonymous commenter, your comment will not publish. This is because of the huge amounts of spam that I have received from anonymous sources.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...