Buzzings from a quilter who bumbles her way through life!

Monday, April 20, 2015

Progress at the Hill Country House - April, 2015


Wow! This has been such a busy spring! After the Hawaii trip, I spent a couple of weeks sick with bronchitis. Now I leave again tomorrow for three weeks taking care of grandkids!
We did manage to get a little done on the house during that time. I'm still playing with furniture placement in the living room. I have two thrift store recliners. (They are the "Stickley" style chairs you see on the right in the photo). One is black and one is tan, so I would love to have them reupholstered. I haven't checked into that yet and I'm really intimidated about doing it myself. If it doesn't cost too much, I would love to have them done in cowhide.
 The two portraits are hung and I've found some antique books and a few other things to put on the buffet to tie everything together. I found the old watering pitcher in an antique shop for about $10. Everything else, except the flowers, was from a thrift shop. I'm sure this arrangement will change, but for now it makes me smile.
Here's a view from the dining room end of the room. We are going to replace the ceiling fans with some in wood tones. I haven't found the ones I want yet.
 My island cabinets had been painted gray, but I wasn't happy with how they turned out. (I know that when the red cedar top is put on, it will make a big difference!)
I decided to put a glaze on them. If we don't like it, it is only paint!

Here is a photo during the process.
Here they are finished, except for the island top. 
We are also waiting on bids for the countertops in the pantry. We haven't decided yet what to call that area - prep kitchen, working pantry, butler's kitchen, dirty kitchen. All of these are names we've found for a pantry that you can actually work in. We had planned to reuse the Corian countertops in that room, but found that it will cost more to have someone come in and seam them than it does to buy new granite!
 
I also went "estate sale" shopping. I found this Raku vase. Inside is a receipt and a note from the potter about how she did it. If you know Sunee Rakowitz, tell her that her beautiful pot will be appreciated and loved. As a young art student in college, we made Raku pottery. It is a fascinating process!
I also found this Mexican casserole "dish". I love the simple beauty of it! I even love the clay color on the inside!
I hope to do some posting while I'm away, but I'm about to enter the lifestyle of the "young and restless"! I don't know how these young families keep up the pace! What a privilege to be part of their lives for these coming weeks!
 

11 comments:

  1. Your home is coming along beautifully. Love those chairs. Have a safe trip and enjoy the little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just lovely and inviting...I can't wait to see it in person...Looks like it won't be long now before you move IN!!!!! WHooHoooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your housse is coming along nicely. Everything is looking good.Don't you love it when a plan comes together..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good! Thanks for sharing the progress. Next you'll need another vacation after your episodes with the Young and Restless. But I'm sure you wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks so warm and inviting. I know that it will never be 'done' since creative people keep changing things as part of the creative process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your progress Linda - even though the circumstances that brought this about aren't ones we want to experience I know you are going to love this house and make many wonderful memories there. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've loved watching the progress of your home coming together. It's looking so beautiful! Love the vase!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are really good at finding wonderful treasures Linda! I hope and pray that this beautiful house becomes a real home to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda your home is truly beautiful and I love how you are adding pieces here and there. It is easy to forget that you must start from nothing as I am surrounded by too much stuff. I love the glaze you put on the cabinets. Enjoy every minute of your Grands and know you can take naps later when you return home. Creative Home Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a wonderful home you have made for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The house is gorgeous. I do love the great big kitchen. Wow. Enjoy your grandkids. Don't forget to nap when they do! LOL

    ReplyDelete

You can leave your comment here! (I'm so sorry, but if you are an Anonymous commenter, your comment will not publish. This is because of the huge amounts of spam that I have received from anonymous sources.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...